TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
JANUARY 28, 2016 6:00 P.M.
SHIPSHEWANA TOWN HALL
345 N MORTON STREET
SHIPSHEWANA, IN 46565
PRESENT: Roger D. Yoder, C. Arlene Lazzaro, J. Mike Wilcher, Elmer J. Mast, Lynn M. Bontrager.
Staff; Mike Sutter, Kurt R. Bachman, Greg Guerrettaz, Ruth Ann Downey. Public; Melanie Sutter, Coby Knowles, Kade Miller.
Council President R. Yoder called the meeting to order, noted that all Council Members were present, welcomed everyone and asked that they sign in. Agendas were available.
INVOCATION & PLEDGE: C.A. Lazzaro gave the invocation and J.M. Wilcher led the pledge.
MOTION: C. A. Lazzaro made a motion to accept the agenda with flexibility. E. Mast seconded the motion. Motion carried.
APPOINT TWO VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS: M. Sutter reported that he has received a request from Fire Chief, Chad Miller that the Council approve two new Firefighters, Ervin and Deryl Schwartz for the Shipshewana Volunteer Fire Department. Both gentlemen have all of the required fire training and have been through the department interview process. Discussion followed.
MOTION: L. Bontrager made a motion to approve Ervin Schwartz and Deryl Schwartz as Shipshewana Volunteer Firefighters. E. Mast seconded the motion. Motion carried.
ORBAL DISK PURCHASE FOR OXY DITCH @ WWTP: M. Sutter reported that the orbal disks in the oxidation ditch help provide oxygen to the water as it is treated at the WWTP. Robert E. Crosby will be doing some work on the oxidation ditch this spring and install up to 35 of the 50 orbal disks and we will have the remaining 15 in our inventory for future repair. The cost is $186.00 each for a total cost of $9,300.00 from Evoqua, of Waukesha, Wisconsin. Discussion followed.
MOTION: E. Mast made a motion to approve the purchase of 50 orbal disks at $186.00 each for a total cost of $9,300.00 from Evoqua for the WWTP oxidation ditch. C.A. Lazzaro seconded the motion. Motion carried.
WATER METER PURCHASE: M. Sutter reported that the Town had been contacted by the Shipshewana Auction/Flea Market/Farmstead Inn regarding reducing the size of a number of water meters in their various facilities. (See attached for breakdown) The Town will need to order the various meter sizes requested and bill the Auction/Flea Market/Farmstead Inn for the new meters. The total cost for the meters requested is $6,415.39 and will be purchased from Utility Supply. Discussion followed.
MOTION: J.M. Wilcher made a motion to purchase the meters for the Auction/Flea Market/Farmstead Inn as requested in the amount of $6,415.39 from Utility Supply and to bill the Auction/Flea Market/Farmstead Inn for the same. L. Bontrager seconded the motion. Motion carried.
APPROVE INTERRA CREDIT UNION AS A DEPOSITORY FOR THE TOWN OF SHIPSHEWANA: R. Downey reported that Interra Credit Union is on the list of Approved Depositories for the State of Indiana and the State Board of Accounts. Interra Credit Union has been in Town for a couple of years now and I would like to include them when I call for interest rates on Town CD’s, and in order to do this I need a motion from the Council. Discussion followed.
MOTION: E. Mast a motion to add Interra Credit Union to the list of approved Depositories for the Town of Shipshewana. J.M. Wilcher seconded the motion. Motion carried.
FINANCIAL REPORT: R. Downey reported that she had been contacted by Carolyn Chupp of 1310 Orchard lane regarding a leak in her hot water heater. The water went down her floor drain and the water heater has been repaired. Her average usage for a one year period came out to 1,400 gallons per month which would reduce the sewer portion of her bill by $14.00 bringing her total bill due to $51.72 rather than the $65.72 that was billed. Discussion followed.
MOTION: C.A. Lazzaro made a motion to approve a sewer bill adjustment in the amount of $14.00 for Carolyn Chupp of 1310 Orchard Lane. L. Bontrager seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Downey reported that January was the first month that we have sent out storm water bills for the newly annexed area to the South. Family members of Marianna Nelson came in to ask what they could do to help lower her storm water bills because she was receiving two storm water bills in the amount of $43.36 per month. Marianna Nelson has a 7 acres and a 14.12 acres parcel. We explained to them that we would only charge them for one parcel if they could combine the parcels at the County level. They have provided us with the tax parcel combination request form that was filed with the county on January 20th to make it one parcel of 21.12 acres. I am requesting the Council approve an adjustment of $43.36 off of her storm water bill since they have filed with the county to have the two parcels combined into one parcel. Discussion followed.
MOTION: L. Bontrager made a motion to adjust $43.36 off of Marianna Nelson’s storm water bill and to only bill her for one parcel going forward due to her combination of the two parcel at the County level. E. Mast seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Downey referred Council Members to their paperwork for the legal notice for the Public Hearing for Highland Ridge RV, Inc. to be held on February 25th at 6:00 p.m. and requested a motion to approve the Claims Register & Adjustment Journals as presented. Discussion followed.
MOTION: E. Mast made a motion to approve the Claims Register & Adjustment Journals as presented. L. Bontrager seconded the motion. Motion carried.
TOWN MANAGER REPORT: M. Sutter referred Council Members to their paperwork for information on a R900 Belt Clip Transceiver from Neptune Technology Group. This instrument will be able to interrogate a meter and show when water usage is occurring at a residence or a business. The cost is $2,500.00 for the Belt Clip Transceiver which with your approval will be purchased from Utility Supply. On the same quote are six 5/8-3/4” meters at a cost of $1,285.74 for a total cost of $3,785.74. These costs can be split between the Water and Wastewater Utilities. Discussion followed.
MOTION: C.A. Lazzaro made a motion to purchase a Belt Clip Transceiver and 6 water meters from Utility Supply Company at a total cost of $3,785.74 to be split between the Water and Wastewater Utility. L. Bontrager seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Sutter reported that it has been awhile since the Employee Personnel Manual has been updated and asked for approval to have the Clerk-Treasurer, Town Attorney and himself work together to review and prepare the Manual for an update. M. Sutter also requested approval to allow paid bereavement leave for brother and sister in-laws. Our current policy does not allow for this and we currently have an employee with this situation. The current policy allows 3 consecutive days for grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins but does not address brother or sister in-laws. Discussion followed.
MOTION: J.M. Wilcher made a motion for the Town Manager, Attorney and Clerk-Treasurer to review the current Employee Personnel Manual and to bring a revised manual back to the Council for approval. L. Bontrager seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Bachman pointed out that since there is currently a specific issue a second motion should be made to address that issue. Discussion followed.
MOTION: L. Bontrager made a motion to authorize up to 3 consecutive days of bereavement leave for a brother or sister in-law retro-active to the beginning of today. J.M. Wilcher seconded the motion. Motion carried.
ATTONEY REPORT: K. Bachman reported that abatement request documents have been received for the Shipshewana Auction, Inc. or just Shipshewana Auction we need to be sure that all documents are in the correct legal name. After clarification the Council will be ready to consider a declaratory resolution for this area at the first meeting in February. We have mailed out the necessary paperwork and published the notice for the Public Hearing for the Highland Ridge Tax abatement and will prepare the Confirmatory Resolution for the February 25th Council meeting. Discussion followed.
MOTION: E. Mast made a motion to consider a Declaratory Resolution for the Shipshewana Auction, DBA Shipshewana Auction, Inc. at the first meeting in February. J.M. Wilcher seconded the motion. Motion carried.
FINANCIAL CONSULTANT REPORT: G. Guerrettaz reported that the Town has received the 1782 notice for the 2016 Budget and overall the Town is doing well. Discussion followed.
- Yoder introduced the Council and Staff to the Westview High School government class students and asked them to introduce themselves. Discussion followed.
There being no further business to come before the Council R. Yoder asked for a motion to adjourn.
MOTION: C. A. Lazzaro made a motion to adjourn. L. Bontrager seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Roger D. Yoder, Council President C. Arlene Lazzaro, Council Vice-President
Lynn M. Bontrager, Council Member Elmer J. Mast, Council Member
Ruth Ann Downey, Clerk-Treasurer J. Mike Wilcher, Council Member